Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Sharing Sweet Memories

one of the my favorite dessert or dessert is ginataang bilo-bilo. It is made out of sweet rice balls, different kinds of tubers or root crop and jackfruit that is cooked with coconut cream and/or coconut milk. You can also cook it with tapioca pearls and banana plantains which I opted out because of my preference.



 my grandmother who already passed away makes the best "palidosdos" (what we are used to call the dish). The creamy coconut and the chewiness of the rice balls along with the rest of the ingredients is like heaven in your mouth and is the best comfort food you could ever ask for. I remember helping her make those sticky rice balls when i was a little girl, which i enjoyed doing believe it or not. So since I have been craving for this dish since last night and since I have the ingredients, well not the purple yam, tapioca and bananas, I decided to give it a try and make my own.


Here is what I used:

3 cans about 14 oz. coconut milk
1 can coconut cream
6 cups of cubed and mixed sweet potato, yellow yam (i thought i got a purple yam, which is a bummer  because that was my favorite, but, oh well)
1 can of langka in syrup, drained and cut into strips 5 cups of water
4 cups of sugar
a little dash of salt to enhance the flavor
1 18 oz. sweet rice flour

 I started on preparing my tubers, since this is my least favorite to do. Haha.






After that, I got my rice balls rolling =). I mixed it with around 2 and a half cups of water. Don't forget to dust your plate with some flour so your rice balls won't stick to it. I also find it easier to roll the sweet rice on my palm if i put flour on my palm. Trust me, it is gonna be real sticky. Totally reminds me of my childhood, when i would volunteer to help my grandma or mom on rolling these babies.


So next, I put the water in the pan. Let it boil, then put coconut milk. After it reboils, I put the tubers in. I actually overcooked them, since I was hoping for a little tartness in my bite. Make sure you watch them not to get soft as you are still gonna put the rice balls. I think 5 minutes is enough, then you can put the sweet rice balls in along with the coconut cream, langka, sugar and some salt. 





Once the balls are starting to come up in the surface. it means it is cooked. I let mine in for a little bit more to thicken the sauce. Please do not forget to stir continuously, you do not want to burn the bottom part of your pan!



This is my first time to do this, I could definitely make a better one so go easy on me if I did not have the complete ingredients, like I said, this dessert reminds me of my grandmother. It does not even compares to her cooking but this is as close as having that comfort that I and the rest of my family is missing since her passing. So I made this one for her. 



I know heaven is sweeter with her now, but I still miss her and thinks about her all the time.

Just sharing some sweet memories to you,

~beverly~

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com